Just like other animals, fish requires a feed formula that contains protein, carbohydrates, lipids, minerals, and vitamins for healthy growth. Fish requires mostly protein in their feed.
Lima feed machinery has been working in the feed farming industry for more than ten years, as the professional manufacturer and exporter of feed equipment. We specialize in the production of fish feed extruders, poultry feed pellet machines, and corresponding production lines. If you have any questions about the feed pellet industry, please feel free to contact us.
The major ingredients used for fish feed production include
- Rice Bran: The bran layer and germ of the rice are rich in fat, and are good for fish food.
- Fish Meal: It is produced by cooking fish, rolling and pressing to remove water and oil, and then drying. This ingredient is responsible for the protein supplementation in the fish feed.
- Soybean Meal: This is the major source of protein in the fish feed formulation, it is especially high in essential amino acids, is palatable, and can easily be digested by fish.
- Groundnut Cake: This can be included in place of soybean in the feed. It supplies amino acids.
- Cottonseed Meal: It is highly palatable and contains about 40% protein.
- Maize: This is the major source of carbohydrate in the fish feed formulation and accounts for up to 30% of the total diet
Other ingredients include wheat offal, vitamins, growth boosters, crayfish dust, cassava, palm oil, eggs, salt, etc.
Feed Formulation Procedure
These ingredients are used based on the feed formula chosen. Depending on the kind of feed required, pelleting or extrusion can be used. The process whereby food ingredients are forced to flow under conditions of mixing, beating, and heating, through a die that forms the ingredient is known as Feed extrusion.
Extruded floating feeds are favored by farmers in Nigeria because they allow observation of the feeding processing thereby preventing wasteful feeding. If it is done by pelletizing, the pellets sink rapidly when thrown into the pond, pollute the water, and crumble, thus leading to wasteful feeding.
If you want to know more about feed pellet formula knowledge from this article: How to design a suitable fish feed pellet formula in the different fish growth stages?
Guides on How to Produce Fish Feed in Nigeria
Nigeria is our largest market, we have a lot of local customers, if you need to visit our fish pellet equipment, we can provide you with contact information. In addition, the production of fish food pellets in Nigeria is also very promising, and good economic benefits can be obtained whether it is used by itself or sold.
- These ingredients are mixed in their right proportion by a feed mixing machine.
- It is then transferred to a feed pelleting machine which cuts the feed into desired sizes.
- The feed is then dried using a feed drier.
- Once properly dried, it is stored in a cool and dry place to avoid damping the feed which may infect the feed and render it no longer useful.
The summary of the process is as follows:
Fish feed grinding – Feed mixing – Feed extrusion – Pellet drying – Oil spraying – Pellet cooling – Packing